sunnuntai 24. toukokuuta 2015

Words for thought

I have been following the Paperartsy Words-challenge posts during these past two weeks. I really liked the idea of an altered book with quotes... I've been planning to do one for ages, but haven't got around to it, so now was about time. Besides, I'm going to travel for a week, and need to have something lightweight and crafty to do... So I chose a small book from my pile of alterables. While it was on the table waiting for something to actually happen, the Stampotique Designers challenge changed to "Something old, something new..." and of course this fits that excellently! I'm making something new out of something old, all the quotes that I'll add inside will be borrowed from someone else and the book happens to be blue... and then the Craft Barn weekly challenge posted for holidays, and my "travel light" project suits that too, so here it is:


I liked the canvas cover and the small gold embossed image with a glove and carnations, so I decided to do as little to it as possible. I took out a homemade paint spray I made a few weeks ago and before spraying covered the golden image with Glossy Accents and adhered my new book title (Grungeboard letters). While spraying I had a piece of kitchen towel and a baby wipe at hand, using them to wipe over the glossy accents before the spray dried. The GA gives quite an effective resist effect. I spread golden embossing powder on the spine of the book... I'm wishing I had some more course powder, but this will have to do. I love the combination of blue and gold, so I continued with Inka Gold wax over the letters and edges of the book.


The story in this book is quite pathetic, nothing to save. I have looked through a free doodle-lettering tutorial at daisyyellowart, and even though I didn't do any of the exercises, it got me encouraged to start writing over the page. At first the text bugged me, and I'll admit that I used a pencil to trace the quote for the first page... I was happy to find that the ink from my Sakura Micron pens didn't seep through the paper which is quite thick and good quality. During the second page I realized the text of the book can be seen as nice lines that make it easier to space the quote and adjust the height of the letters. I want to add some stamping when possible (=at home), and since I want to travel light, I'm going to use this to practise tangles. All I'll need is my Micron pens. Perhaps I'll take some colour pencils too :) here are the few I got started with, nothing finished yet!

No doodling or shades on this one yet... stamps from VivaLasVegaStamps
Shading did quite a miracle, this looks good... Perhaps I'll
add a background colour, just to hide the story of the book.
Stamp from Paperartsy.
I like the effect of the colour, probably need to add shading too, to make the text pop.
Stamp from Stampotique... added some white sharpie to get rid of the text in his face.


5 kommenttia:

  1. Really lovely, I love how you used the Stampotique character :)
    Thank you for joining in with us at Stampotique this week.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Love this piece of art, so special......Thanks for joining us this week!

    VastaaPoista
  3. Really fab piece Kristiina, I really struggle with drawing anything including letters, so I will have to check this out. Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Stampotique, and congratulations on being chosen in our top 3. Sue xx

    VastaaPoista
  4. A brilliant project Kristiina!! Thank you for joining in The Craft Barn Challenge.
    Jane x

    VastaaPoista
  5. Your doodle-lettering is great and a lovely on-going project.

    VastaaPoista