keskiviikko 17. helmikuuta 2016

F is for Falanouc

The Craft Barn alpha/dictionary challenge is asking for f. I don't really have any craft time right now, but I had to put this together, since the challenge runs all year, I wouldn't want to miss a single one :) I am also posting for the Country View challenge (make your own background), the Craft Barn weekly challenge (heart, not red), the Our Creative Corner challenge (sewing/stitches) and the Paperartsy challenge (wax, I used gelatos). Quite a tour for this little mammal from Madagaskar! Here's the front:


And the description on the back of the card. Want to know more about this, but can't read Finnish? Check here :) I seriously suspect my wildlife encyclopedia to be outdated. The name in English is falanouc, and the name in Finnish is actually "falanukki" which is practically the same. Perhaps the book has a typo here, because the consonants have been swapped around? I (once again) wrote the real name on the side of the card. The heart has been placed next to a part of the text that says falanoucs form lifelong partnerships with their mates. Cute!


I made the background with Fresco Finish paints on canvas paper. Paints, a stencil, some Gelatos (heat set) and stamping with a small leaf using Stazon. (The falanouc rummages around in foilage searching for worms, insects, frogs and other treats :) On the other side I used a background stamp to add the same green shades. It looks lovely, but is mostly covered by the text. all the used stamps (letter f, leaf and background are from Rubber Dance).



To add more texture and some "ground" to the front, I made my own "chunky" embossing: I spread embossing ink on an acrylic block, added embossing powder and rubbed it of with a brush. sorry about the colours in the photos, it's the same white paper in all of them! The embossing was heated from underneath, should have done it before adhering everything in place! 

Here's the card once more, since there were so many pictures in between, and below are the links to the previous alpha cards. 


b (bananaquit)
f (falanouc)
q (quelea)









15 kommenttia:

  1. He's quite the interesting little fellow. Your card for him looks really great. Nicely done background and details. Fabulous how your heart on the back refers to their lifelong mating partnerships.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Nice card! Love the background and texture. Never heard of this animal before so its nice to learn about it.

    VastaaPoista
  3. He is an interesting little chap and looks very similar to what we call a Ferret:) Love the background.

    VastaaPoista
  4. What a cute card! The background is interesting and the embossing adds texture. The animal is cute, we don't have them in England. It looks similar to a ferret but they eat rabbits or a weasel without the nose! Thanks for joining my challenge at Our Creative Corner, Jan x

    VastaaPoista
  5. I'm learning lots of new words! And that is an animal I've never come across! Great background too!

    VastaaPoista
  6. I love your card, the background is fabulous and I love the little creature.
    xxx Hazel.

    VastaaPoista
  7. I'm REALLY late and know it, but I simply had to visit, even though the next CB challenge has already been posted. I'm learning words I've never heard before, and really enjoying it. This is a real beauty, and I love how you created the background. A great technique and loved that you shared it with us.

    VastaaPoista
  8. A cute little card. Thanks for the little tutorial on the chunky embossing, the result looks really good.

    VastaaPoista
  9. What a cutie! Your backgrounds are really great and the canvas adds great texture x

    VastaaPoista
  10. lovely, why heat embossing from underneath? Love the effect it gives, looks really like dirt, ground.

    VastaaPoista
  11. Heat embossing from underneath, because the EP is not attatched to anything and will blow away. I have tried :)

    VastaaPoista
  12. What an amazing background! A lovely card, perfect for The Craft Barn Alpha/Dictionary Challenge, thank you for joining in!
    Jane x

    VastaaPoista
  13. What an adorable card and creature! Love the background you made with my leaf stamps - thank you! ♥
    I have never tried to add EP like you did here, but it looks like a cool tecknique. Thanks for sharing that.

    VastaaPoista
  14. gorgeous make - you rocked that background! Thanks for joining us at Countryview challenges this month and good luck. Hugs rachel x

    VastaaPoista
  15. Love the background and the EP texture.

    VastaaPoista